Saturday, December 1, 2012

HowTo: A simple industrial base

While sitting around and experimenting with stuff, I got the idea to make a simple industrial base for games like Necromunda, Eden etc. As usual I tried to do this with stuff lying around and had in mind to do a tutorial if the result is somewhat OK.
As you read this, I must have thought it worthy to write about :)

Putting some mesh on your base

Using plastic net as mesh
Some plastic net and a base
To be honest, this was the most tricky part of this experiment. At first I tried to cover the base in superglue and then just press the plastic net onto it. But since I have the "gel type" of superglue I think this didn't work out. Therefore I just used superthinned wooden glue to pin the net down and waited for it to dry completely


Priming the base

The primed base
The primed base
As everything was dry, I put some drops of Vallejo Grey Primer into my airbrush and primed the whole base grey. I really like this stuff and will give it a short review in the near future...
As you can see, you can hardly recognize the net after this step for a plastic net from fruits :)


Painting the base

Slurp paint over the base to get a dirty look
Wild mixed paint
Since the airbrush primer is nearly instant dry, you can continue painting your base. I stippled some brown tones onto the base and did a wet (and wild) mixing of "Leprous Brown", "Greenskin Green" and "Scorched Brown". You should really stipple/dab the paint onto the base and not just paint it on, because you get some sort of texture into the paint while doing this. After the paint was dry I gave the net a careful drybrush with "Mithril Silver" and repainted some of the mesh with "Gunmetal Metal". After that I dabbed some "Smokey Ink" into it.


Pigments oh pigments

Use pigments to polish and finish the base
The finished base
After the paint was completely dry, I gave the base some wheathering with selfmade pigments. I just rubbed some pigments from my pastels (rust and brown tones) and dabbed them onto the base to give it a more used and dirty look. The pigments where then fixed in place by a short burst of hairspray (don't tell my wife :) ).


And that's it! Hope this is somewhat helpful for you.


So long,
Paradox0n



P.S.: For just poking what you need, I give you a summed list of the stuff I used.

Materials needed:
- Piece of plastic net (from onions, oranges ...)
- Glue
- A base you can mess around with
- Paints/Pigments
- Hairspray

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts